Wednesday, February 3, 2010

a cry for help.

i am completely and utterly overwhelmed with one of the most pivotal decisions we have to make concerning jessa's {and one day, miley's} education in the fall.

here's what i have:

jessa is so eager to learn and so super excited to someday go to school. i honestly don't know how she would respond if i told her she would stay home with mommy five days a week instead of venturing off so independently. she enjoys what we do twice a week with her little friends and eagerly calls it "school", asks a gazillion questions about what surrounds her on a daily basis, and is on the verge to taking off with her reading with the right tools and encouragement. all of this is a wee bit overwhelming to be put into my hands to help mold and move in the right direction for her learning skills. homeschooling has always been a little more at the top of the choice list, but with the endless options for curriculum and 'styles', the cost of curriculum, and what would work best for our family are all questions i wish had an 'easy' button.

private school = expensive = out of the question = oh well. there is an option a few miles away that i may look into that offers scholarships to specific seminary students. this may be an option {not getting my hopes up}.

public school {especially kindergarten} in our area is basically not much of an option as well. it makes me too uneasy and looking into other districts is questionable.

as any big decision, i've placed it in capable hands, trusting the Lord will mold His character into what choices need to be made. He led me to Proverbs 4 {amazing!} and an inspirational phone call to my mom. i was homeschooled as an ankle biter, so i knew she would have some insight into some confusion i had about the whole thing. as much as i enjoyed the experience, homeschooling has come a long, long way since the 20 years i found myself studying under my mom and dad at the kitchen table {those were some really good times}.

nothing will ever change though, and that's the fact that homeschooling is so flexible, it's genuine, and it's adaptable to how your child learns. it's a lifestyle - teaching as you live. every opportunity a lesson. it's so much more than that, too...and it makes me wonder if i'm built for discovering its full potential.

i'm taking one year at a time {more like one day, right?}. the beginning of her first grade year will pose the same questions and could very well yield different results. i'm excited to look back in a few months and see where the Lord has brought us and what He's preparing to teach all of us in this process.

5 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that you and the hubby are already praying about the situation and that would be my first recommendation as a starting place.

    My recommended book for homeschooling is the "Well Trained Mind." I went with all of her recommends for curriculum and used the library heavily since we were not able to buy many books for the kids in seminary. Our seminary environment provided more than enough social interaction for our kids but there was always an interest to ride the bus and go to school like everyone else. During the Kinder year the whole effort was to get the child to learn how to read well. We did start Math for Jlyn in Kinder and I am not convinced that it helped her in the long run because the second grade math multiplication concepts that she did in her first grade year were hard for her to comprehend at that age.

    We did lots of read about it and then go see it activities and I taught the kids lots of life skills at that age. Have you checked to see if there is a homeschooling network in your community? There may be choir, physical activities and field trips that might help with her desire to be in a classroom setting.

    The best thing about our homeschooling experience was that it gave the kids and I a chance to experience a whole lot of the East Coast together. They know me and I them really well and I was able to teach them what they needed to know had they been in school. I feel like it was time well spent in our lives. The added bonus was that the second and third year of seminary was not quite as intensive as the first and Craig was able to teach them too and go on some of our adventures.

    I have way more input and can tell you what I think now that the kids are back in public school and how the financial impacts of having a spouse in ministry are effecting some of our decision making. If you would like to talk over FB I would be willing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys will make the right decision...& the "unschooling" approach seems to raise pretty awesome kids as well :) we'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes! seeing as p is only 2 i haven't even begun to think about schooling yet. it is a hard choice, but it looks like you guys have a lot of great people who will give you advice. and of course there is your awesome trust in the Lord!

    i might be asking you the same question in about 3 years-k?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The decision to homeschool is never one that should be made lightly...trusting in Him is the best thing. I was so unsure...I NEVER thought I would want to homeschool my kids, seeing as how I was a public school teacher and loved it...but, my prayer to the Lord was that if I was meant to homeschool Jeff would come to me with the idea...and he did.

    Homeschooling is not always easy...there are some days that I long to be going to lunch with the girls...but, those days really are few and far between and could never ever replace the joy I had getting to see Olivia read her first book.

    Curriculum decisions are hard...I knew I wanted something Christian that was unit based and not just work sheet driven. We went with My Father's World for kindergarten and while I do have to supplement with some more challenging activities for Olivia (especially in math) it is a great curriculum. It goes through the alphabet and teaches a theme for each letter. We just finished "O"-octopus and we went to the aquarium and saw the giant octopus there!

    Whatever you decide, you are already on the right path...I think the most important thing I have to remember is that the decision is personal for your family and to not let other's opinions weight too heavily. You are in an environment where homeschooling is probably more accepted...that is the hardest for me...always defending my decision...sometimes, when I am not careful, I second guess myself. But, when we sat down with the girls they both asked to do homeschool again next year!

    Oh, and check the YMCA in the area...ours is now offering a homeschool PE class and you do not have to be a member.

    This just may be the longest comment every...sorry! If you want to chat more, you can facebook me or email!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you ladies SO much for your encouraging words through your own experience. as soon as i get more of my thoughts and questions organized 'upstairs', i'll be fb-ing all around i'm sure! ;)

    @ mandy: i JUST had someone yesterday tell me they have the WHOLE kindergarten curriculum for my father's house that i can have - isn't that GREAT!! wow...God sure does provide quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete